Avro Lancaster of 460 Squadron, RAAF - G for George
11 x 14in print or printed to order on canvas
(Use of RAAF Badge contingent on approval from RAAF Brand Manager)
The Lancaster bomber was produced by the A.V. Roe company and was known as the Avro Lancaster. Produced to meet a need for a bomber for world-wide ue, it is often hailed as bing one aircraft design that was 'right from the start'.
The RAF began operating the bomber in 1942 on strategic bombing missions over Europe. It was crewed by seven airmen: a pilot, flight engineer, navigator, wireless operator, bomb aimer/front gunner, upper gunner and tail gunner. Unlike other bombers of its time, the bomb bay of the Lancaster was one, long, continuous bay which meant it could carry the largest bombs of the time including the Blockbuster bombs that were used against hardened targets and warships. 617 Squadron was one of the more famous squadrons carrying the 'bouncing' bomb to breach the dams of the Ruhr Valley.
Australian aircrews flew in RAF squadrons and in RAAF Squadrons which were equipped with aircraft from the RAF. Number 460 Squadron was one such squadron and this aircraft - G for George - completed 90 missions when most Lancasters were shot down before they completed 20. G for George also had the distinction of bringing home alive every man who flew in her. She was retired in 1944 and brought to Australia to raise funds in the war drive fund raising program.
This aircraft is currently on display at the Australian War Memorial and is shown below in Anzac Hall. (AWM RELAWM31788)